Starting Business Resources
Start a Business in the Comox Valley
This is your first stop for business information and resources. Start-up resources include business planning examples, information on becoming a proprietorship/partnership, incorporation or non-profit society, importing and exporting, sources of financing and information on buying or selling a business.
The BC Starting a Small Business Guide has been developed as an introductory tool for entrepreneurs. The guide has useful information and resources to help you start a successful business. Download the BC Starting a Small Business Guide.
Below you will find links to help you start your business.
To book an appointment with our Business Development Manager please email firstname.lastname@example.org
A business plan is an essential part of starting your business. Visit the Canada Business Network to learn how your business plan can guide your business in the right direction.
Visit Small Business BC How to Write a Business Plan for the key components of a business plan and links to guides, templates, and webinar series to help you create your business plan.
You may also access the Futurpreneuer’s Business Plan Writer tool to help with your first business plan.
Sample Business Plans & Templates:
- Gale Virtual Library Sample Business Plans
- Bplans Business Plans and Pitch Presentations
- Business Development Canada Business Plans Templates
Comox Valley Resources
One Stop Business Registry
Visit BC Business Registry to find information on starting your business, choose your business name, register your business, incorporate your company and more.
Incorporating your Company (Provincially & Federally)
To incorporate a company in BC, the Business Corporations Act states that one or more persons may form a company by entering into an incorporation agreement, establishing articles for the company which sets out its rules for conduct and by electronically filing with the Corporate Registry an Incorporation Application.
Canada Revenue Agency Information
Here you can register and get information regarding HST, Payroll, Corporate Income Tax and Import/Export Accounts.
Here you can register and get information regarding WorkSafeBC coverage for both yourself and your employees.
Become a Non-Profit Organization
When starting a non-profit society one must understand that any funds or profits must be used only for the purpose of the organization itself. Funds or profits cannot be distributed to a member of the society without the member giving appropriate compensation to the society first.
- Partnership or Proprietorship? – Information and how to register your business as a partnership or sole proprietorship.
Money matters in business start-up and expansion, and there are many sources of Financing including over 200 government programs, many bank programs, as well as angel and private investors. Start or grow your business venture in the Comox Valley.
To gain a better understanding of business financing please visit:
For further financing and government grant information see the Related Links.
- Community Futures Strathcona
- Government of Canada – Grants and Financing
- Business Development Bank of Canada
- Canada Small Business Financing Program
- Community Futures BC
- Innovate BC
- How to Finance Your Business – Learn the steps to acquiring financing for your business with Small Business BC.
- Canadian Business Grants & Finances – Search available government grant programs across Canada.
- Other Sources of Funding – Community Futures, Business Development Bank of Canada are two examples of sources of funding.
Funding + Tax Credit
Learn more here.