Fixed Wing Seach and Rescue (FWSAR) Aircraft Replacement Project – Update
The Town of Comox, home of 19 Wing, Canada’s only West Coast Air Force Base, has been officially designated as the location for the highly advanced training and simulation Centre as part of today’s awarding of the Fixed Wing Search and Rescue Replacement (FWSAR) Project contract to Airbus Defence & Space, with its C295 plane.
“This is very welcome news,” said Paul Ives, Mayor, Town of Comox, “The Town of Comox, and the other municipalities in the Comox Valley, are well aware of the importance of the Base and the considerable economic impacts this new Training Centre will bring.”
The announcement, valued at $4.7 billion when including the in service support, training and maintenance components, along with the design, construction and operation of the training and simulation Centre, will bring new long term technical employment to the Comox Valley.
In 2014 Comox Valley Economic Development (CVEDS) launched a campaign to support the long term success of Comox Valley’s largest economic generator, 19 Wing Comox.
The initiative was created in response to the Federal Governments’ Request for Proposal for the Fixed Wing Search and Rescue (FWSAR) Replacement Project. The companies that submitted bids were expected to recommend locations for future operations, training and maintenance as part of their proposals, and CVEDS & stakeholders recognized the importance of ensuring 19 Wing and the regions strong training attributes were understood amongst the bidders and decision makers. Confirmed bidders included: Team Spartan, Lockheed Martin & Cascade Aerospace, Airbus Group, Boeing & Bell Helicopter, Embraer.
A dedicated volunteer Technical Working Group, comprised of retired senior military officers and representatives from the Comox Valley Airport (YQQ), developed a report that presents the Comox Valley and 19 Wing as the logical choice for the eventual location of a new FWSAR Training Centre.
Fixed Wing Aircraft Replacement & 19 Wing References:
- December 8, 2016 Press Release
- August 1, 2014 Press Release
- Comox Valley Economic Development: Fixed Wing Aircraft Replacement Project Report
About the Project and Potential Bidders
- Aerospace Industries Association of Canada Statement
- Airbus Defence & Space December 8, 2016 Press Release
- PAL Aerospace December 8, 2016 Press Release
- Federal announcement on fixed wing replacement project
- Liberals to announce SAR aircraft contract
- SAR aircraft announcement could take heat off Liberals on fighter jet controversy
- WATCH: Search and rescue training facility coming to island
- Suitor for Canadian military contract promises training base at Comox
- Comox deemed frontrunner for new SAR training facility
- Comox offers grant-in-aid to get fixed-wing training centre at 19 Wing
- 19 Wing gets $30 million to upgrade and repair base
|Bob Mortimer||Major General (Retired)|
|Fred Bigelow||Brigadier General (Retired)|
|Bill Neumann||Brigadier General (Retired)|
|Jon Ambler||Colonel (Retired)|
|Terry Chester||Colonel (Retired)|
|Ted Gibbon||Colonel (Retired)|
|Dave Mellin||Honourary Colonel|
|Garry Reaume||Colonel (Retired)|
|David Berry||Lieutenant Colonel (Retired)|
|Joan Gordon||Major (Retired)|
|Dhrur (Ab) Jagat||Major (Retired)|
|Dan Brennan||Captain (Retired)|
Aircraft: C-27J Spartan
Aircraft: C130J Hercules
Aircraft: KC – 390
Aircraft: DHC-5NG Buffalo